Saturday, December 8, 2012

Serve - III


How do I serve?

VERSE
“For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it." (Matthew 16:25)

REFLECTION
How do I serve? As a servant who gets paid for services? As a slave who would get his freedom back after some years?  As for me, there is no other way to serve but like that of a bondservant. My master purchased me from death.  I belong to Him until eternity. This is simple logic whether I like it or not. A bondservant has made the decision to be fully his master’s possession (Exo.21:2-6).  "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I lived in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (Gal.2:20). What a privilege to be fully owned by the King of Kings; in contrast, how frightening to be outside His kingdom.

I realized though it’s one thing to desire and decide to be a bondservant, it’s another thing to truly become one. The following day-to-day activities help me in the process:
1.       Upon waking up: kneeling down to worship the Master; thanking Him for life; asking Him for specific instructions on what He wants me to do for the day or how and what else He wants to be done in an ongoing project; asking for wisdom, strength and joy to do these; asking Him to guide and bless my loved ones; and finally halting all other thoughts to hear Him and meditate on His word;
2.       While doing the duties for the day: continuing to speak to the Master; discussing with Him, any difficulties or issues I am undergoing;
3.       When working with others: praying with them, asking the Master to shepherd us collectively;
4.       When confronted with decision-making and with matters too comprehensive or too deep for my limited capacities: asking the Master to make clear His will that I may just follow Him there;
5.       When realizing my self-centeredness: asking the Master to break my heart for what breaks His;
6.       When faced with restlessness: asking the Master to search my heart; rededicating my life to Him anew, to go where He wants me to go, to do what He wants me to do;
7.       When facing a temptation: asking the Master to take full control of my heart, mind and strength, then fleeing from the situation;
8.      When experiencing loneliness: asking the Master to clarify my heart and to allow me to experience joy from Him alone;
9.       Before lying down to sleep at night: thanking the Master for all the blessings; asking Him to renew my strength for the work the following day, and to likewise grant the blessings of peace, joy and safety to my loved ones.  

QUESTION TO CONSIDER
·         What issues or struggles confront you as you desire to truly become a bondservant for Jesus Christ?

ACTION STEPS FOR THE WEEK
·         Share your issues or struggles with a fellow-bondservant, seeking God’s counsel together through meditation on His word and prayer together, making yourself accountable to him/her to become more and more the bondservant who pleases the Master.
 

 These very challenging words are from our guest blogger this week, Elizabeth Venegas, who serves so faithfully with CCT in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment